3D Mammography (also called Digital Breast Tomosynthesis), is a low-cost exam providing superior imaging for women with dense breast tissue or other risk factors. RMI was the first to offer this exam in Genesee County, and is pleased to offer it in the Metro Detroit area as well. We call our unique service the 3D UltimateMamm®.
How 3D Mammography Works
3D mammography uses X-rays to create an image of the inside of the breast. However, it does this by creating three-dimensional (3D) images. While standard mammograms create two-dimensional (flat) images, 3D mammography creates a semi-circular image which can be viewed from many angles. In either case, precancerous nodules or breast cancer nodules will show up as irregular white areas (‘shadows’) on the recorded image. 3D mammography makes it easier for our specialized radiologists to see problems within the breast. That means a better mammogram, especially if you have dense breast tissue.
About RMI’s 3D UltimateMamm
The 3D UltimateMamm provides you with complete information for taking control of your breast health.
- You are provided with your breast density type and Gail Score (lifetime cancer risk assessment).
- We evaluate your HBOC (Hereditary Breast and Ovarian cancer risk) by taking into account both immediate and extended family history.
- We then determine if a BRCA (Breast Cancer) gene test and/or a Breast MRI are recommended.
- RMI gives you the information needed to feel and stay secure, and how to monitor your breast health going forward.
An expert’s opinion
Dr. Kristin Krizmanich, a leader in women’s imaging at RMI, sums up our 3D UltimateMamm this way: “It makes the greatest difference when used in women with dense breasts, often lowering the number of women that could be called back after their screening mammograms. RMI has been the leader in breast imaging for years, and we are very comfortable performing and interpreting each women’s unique case. We work diligently to bring these modalities to the general screening population, and give each woman a tailored approach to best fit her profile based on breast density, risk factors, and so much more.”
What Makes Our Service Unique?
RMI has always been at the forefront in adopting the most current women’s imaging technology. Our team of mammography specialists are leaders in the field of women’s imaging, so you can rest assured that the best radiologists are creating your report. You can learn about our team here. Our radiologists are assisted by our adoption of ProFound AI™, a high-performance, deep-learning, breast cancer detection and workflow solution that improves cancer detection rates by an average of 8 percent and decreases unnecessary recalls. RMI is the first organization in the state to use this system. Read the press release here or view this news report from WNEM TV5.
The Day of your Procedure
- Mammogram History Form (please print, complete and bring with you to your appointment.)
- Please refrain from using deodorants, powders or shimmer/glitter lotions before the mammogram. They may interfere with the quality of your test.
- Wear a two-piece outfit.
- You may have a light breakfast or snack before your procedure, and it’s good to be well-hydrated. The exam takes less than seven minutes.
- Compression of the breast is a critical part of the study. If your breasts are sensitive before the screening, you may choose to reschedule your mammogram or schedule it a week after your period.
- Please tell the technologist if you experience soreness during the examination. She will make appropriate adjustments to ensure your comfort.
Further Enhancement with CESM
Along with the 3D Mammogram, your doctor in consultation with our radiologist may order a Contrast-Enhanced Spectral Mammogram (CESM), a mammography exam utilizing an injection of contrast. The contrast will help further highlight any areas of concern on the image.