Dr. Hicks, co-owner and CEO of RMI, is a distinguished expert on women’s imaging who has co-authored several medical journal articles on topics related to imaging for breast cancer. He also has special interest and expertise in parathyroid and thyroid imaging, interventional breast biopsy procedures, and product development.
He is a committed advocate for women’s healthcare, especially for breast cancer prevention, early detection, and treatment. Dr. Hicks works closely with medical colleagues to encourage multidisciplinary, best-practice approaches to care. This includes such efforts as establishing local “tumor boards” that bring together radiologists, surgeons, oncologists, and other physicians from leading health systems and practices in the region.
He serves as a thought leader and spokesperson for the role of information technology in enhancing the quality and efficiency of health care. He led RMI’s efforts as the first radiology practice to achieve Meaningful Use(electronic health records) implementation.
A graduate of Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine, Dr. Hicks completed a residency in diagnostic radiology at Michigan State University affiliated hospitals, and was board certified by the American Board of Radiology in 1989. After joining RMI in 1989, Dr. Hicks also earned an MBA enabling him to direct the seven-office, 130-employee organization and better serve his patients and the community.
His leadership role also includes service on various boards and advisory committees including:
- Michigan Radiological Society (Board of Directors), Co-chair of the Finance & Budget committee and Chair of the Automation & Technology committee
- Hologic, a manufacturer of diagnostic and medical imaging equipment focused on women’s health
- Merge Healthcare (advisory), a leading provider of enterprise imaging and interoperability solutions in radiology, cardiology, and orthopedics
- The State Bank (Board of Directors), a local financial institution based in Fenton
- Fentura, Inc. (Board of Directors), parent company of The State Bank
The lifelong Michigan native completed his undergraduate degree at Kalamazoo College. Other education includes:
Medical School Education: class of 1984, Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine
Internship: 1984–1985, Michigan State University Affiliated Hospitals
Residency: 1985–1989, Michigan State University Affiliated Hospitals (Chief Resident 1987–1988)
Board Certified: 1989, American Board of Radiology
MBA: 1997, Program and Integrative Management, Michigan State University, The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management